Happy Friday, everyone! It’s supposed to be really nice here this weekend, and I’m definitely looking forward to it. Jake should be off work early. If he gets home in time, I’m hoping to do a family bike ride on the local riverfront trail system. We have a bunch of birds returning and migrating through, and it’s a great place to watch for them.
Today’s the fifth official day in our family’s weight loss challenge, but it’s been a week since I started watching what I’ve been eating. I’ve lost four pounds, and my jeans are fitting looser!
Here are the biggest changes I’ve made:
- I’ve been making sure to drink at least 8 cups of water. I’ve been refilling my 16 oz waterbottle 5 – 6 times a day.
- I’ve cut back on coffee – I like creamy, sugary coffee, and I was drinking a lot. About 4 – 5 large mugs a day. I’m still drinking 1 – 2, but I’ve cut out the flavored creamers, and I’m limiting my sugar to 2 teaspoons of unrefined sugar a day.
- I’ve swapped white flour for whole wheat.
- I’ve been eating a lot more salads. I love veggies, so this isn’t a hardship. It does get a little boring to eat the same thing every day, though, so I’m going to have to learn how to mix up the greens and add-ins.
- Exercising – This comes naturally for us as the weather gets warmer. As a family, we love to hike and ride bikes. The kids are getting old enough we can actually go on some longer trails. We hiked Mica Mine last weekend, and that’s over five miles there and back. They didn’t complain once! I’ve also been using my mini stepper in the evenings. If you have no room for an elliptical or treadmill, I highly recommend getting one of these little guys. I love mine. I’d also like to note that excercising alone wasn’t enough to help me lose weight. We’ve always been an active family, but if I’m not eating well, the weight won’t budge no matter how much we do.
All right, here’s my food journal for yesterday:
- Breakfast: 1/2 whole wheat bagel with 1 tbsp natural peanut butter and coffee with steamed milk and 2 tsp unrefined sugar.
- Lunch: 1/3 large chicken breast, 2 cups steamed veggies, leftover breadstick from last night’s dinner.
- Snack: 1/2 whole wheat bagel (the other half from breakfast), 1/3 chicken breast, coffee with splash of half and half, apple.
- Dinner: Subway Club sandwich on wheat – no cheese. I went through the drive thru, and, unfortunately, they got my order wrong. It was missing all the veggies. The only thing on it was spinach. We were already home before I found out what happened, so I was pretty bummed. I also had 1/3 indivudual size bag salt and vinegar kettle chips.
- Snack before bed: I was ravenous after exercising, so I had another 1/2 whole wheat bagel with 1 tbsp peanut butter.
- Splurge: 1 cup of chocolate ice cream.