My mother-in-law called last week to see if I wanted to do a weight loss challenge with her and Jake’s sisters, and I jumped at the chance. Just recently, I’d been telling her how upset I was that I’d allowed myself to gain as much weight as I have in the last few years. In fact, every time Jake says we should start jogging, I picture me looking like this:
Not pretty. I feel your pain, pup.
Anyway, her plan is simple. We all do our own thing, but we motivate each other, and we reward each other when we hit a goal. For example, my teenage niece offered free babysitting. How cool is that? And we’ll all do things like that. How motivating, right? I can’t wait for my sweet family members to hit their goals so we can shower them with awesomeness.
My plan is to eat clean. Yeah, yeah…I know, I know. I’m gonna stick with it this time! I did it before–I know I can do it again.
So, I’m going to be keeping a food journal here. I figure if I have to fess up to you all what I’ve been eating, I might do a slightly better job. 😉 I’ll be posting the menu from the day before (or possibly post it weekly, depending on what seems to work better.)
Let’s get started.
- Breakfast: 1 cup of strawberries and scrambled eggs – I was starving twenty minutes later, and I decided I need a grainy complex carb with breakfast. It’s what I always used to do, so it makes sense that I still need to.
- Snack: 16 oz coffee with splash of milk and tiny bit of real cream. Sweetened with stevia and 1 tsp unrefined sugar – I’m not giving up my morning coffee, but I will stay away from the fake flavored creamers. Also, I had a bite size sausage biscuit made with clean sausage and homemade, whole grain biscuit.
- Lunch: 1/2 leftover roasted chicken breast, handful roasted cubed potatoes, and steamed broccoli and cauliflower blend.
- Snack: Handful of trail mix and sparkling water with lime and pineapple
- Dinner: Taco salad made with ground turkey, kidney beans, lettuce, tomatoes, homemade taco seasoning blend, and a handful of tortilla chips (fried but no chemicals added). I omitted the cheese and sour cream. I also swapped salsa for the dressing. It was really good, but next time I’ll remember black olives and avocado.
- Dessert/Snack: 1 homemade strawberry oat muffin – I made a batch for Tuesday’s breakfast, and they hit the spot for dessert as well.
Also, I’ve returned to making homemade bread with whole wheat flour (I’ve been using the Kroger brand white whole wheat, and it’s really good). If I want to stick with it, I know I have to start cooking from scratch again. That’s the hard part. Still, it’s doable.
Okay, so that’s all for today. I’ll be back tomorrow!